2019 has been an interesting year for the construction industry, with many changes to supply routes and technology. With the continuing growth and evolution of the construction industry, companies must stay up-to-date if they want to remain competitive. There are numerous changes taking place in the construction industry and new trends are emerging every other year ranging from technological advancements to more focused sustainability initiatives. These construction trends are meant to make construction work easier and efficient. Therefore, if you are not familiar with them, it might be hard for you to outshine your competitors. Below are some major construction trends that will have a significant impact on the construction industry in the coming year:
- Robotics: The use of robotics and automated smart machines are helping boost productivity and accuracy while reducing overhead and waste. Technological advancements in the construction industry aren’t limited to just software. Drone usage is becoming increasingly popular with construction companies as the technology advances and becomes more affordable. Drones, sometimes referred to as Unmanned Aerial Vehicles (UAV’s), are useful on construction sites for surveying the job site and ensuring workers are kept out of potentially dangerous situations.
- Green Technology: Green construction is a growing field in construction, as increasingly more buildings and plans are looking for ways to incorporate sustainability into the construction process. As the industry begins to adopt more progressive and greener production methods, the trend of environment-friendly construction will only get more popular. From planning to design, construction, maintenance to demolition, green roof construction will only advance the industry’s efforts to create more sustainable ways of building structures. Other green construction trends that are gaining traction in the industry include carbon scrubbing building facades, bricks made of recycled cigarette butts, thermally driven air conditioners and asphalt that will heal itself.
- Sustainability: Sustainable construction includes the preservation of the environment and efficient use of resources with a focus on social progress and culture. These can include methods such as buildings designed to allow natural light to reach the middle of the building to reduce electrical costs or buildings that reuse water from the sinks in the toilets. Most individuals are more focused on sustainability and so do the most successful companies today. This is a terrific approach to appeal to the Millennials and it is much better for the whole world. This explains why numerous construction companies will strongly focus more on sustainability. A sustainable future is part of the construction industry trends that will continue into 2020.
- Prefabrication and Modular construction: Part of the construction industry trends we’ll continue to see into 2020 will include the popularity of modular and prefabricated construction projects. Modular construction companies are making waves in the industry because of the significantly expedited rate at which they can build residential and commercial buildings. These trends are cost-effective and also energy-efficient, explaining why they have been so popular, it involves using standardized processes to assemble as much as possible off-site and then transferring the structure to the proposed site, here costs and lead times are significantly reduced.
- Project Management Solutions: Numerous industries are now finding it convenient to make use of the project management software and the construction industry has not been left behind. The software has been updated over the past years and currently, there is a software specialized to perform different tasks, from designing a building to managing a construction site. Company owners have better software options than were available even just a couple of years ago. Not only are the user interfaces designed to be more user-friendly, but there is a plethora of options to choose from. Project management solutions now have features such as time solutions, equipment rentals, and change orders in addition to traditional project management options. With all of these changes, it is easier for construction companies to manage their projects. The current project management software gives real-time communication, project overview, and traceability. This might however, lead to increased IT expenditures with the construction industry.
Throughout 2019, there has been a rise in several new trends in the construction industry. Some of these trends will play an instrumental part in construction throughout 2020. The above listed trends imply that companies in the construction industry can no longer sit back and claim that construction is not ready or not digital. With the advent of new technologies and the availability of structured data, materials manufacturers, distributors, contractors and facility management companies alike need to challenge their traditional business models and assess how to tackle new business models or go-to-markets.